Friday, August 8, 2014

Screencasting and English Learners

I just want to put this out there:  I [finally] finished my masters!!  I graduated in May, after turning in my 120-page Masters' thesis (that'll leave a mark).

Here's how I looked after my graduation ceremony:

My masters is an M.A. in English as a Second Language, and my thesis was a case study of 6 3rd grade English learners.  In my research, I was interested in finding out if screencasting seemed to help develop the fluency and complexity of English learners' math language.  As it turned out, it did (especially for those students with developing levels of English proficiency)!

Check out these slides for a quick summary of my research and findings:



So what does this mean for the classroom?
  1. Offer screencasting, and the instructional scaffolds that support it, as an option in students' learning opportunities
  2. Provide a structure for academic language development and an authentic context for all students to practice it
  3. Include opportunities in your students' learning for self-assessment and reflection, as both are important to the development of language and content knowledge
  4. Engage students in peer-teaching opportunities - they're low-risk experiences for learners, provide authentic audiences for content and language practice, and they give students a chance to reflect on their understanding of the content.  


No comments:

Post a Comment